Your child under five with special educational needs at home

If your child is at home and you think they may have a learning difficulty or disability,you should talk about your concerns with your:

  • doctor (GP);
  • health visitor; or
  • social worker.

Other professionals may become involved in helping your child. These are some examples.

From the local education authority

  • The Portage team, who may send a home worker to help you with your child’s development
  • An educational psychologist
  • A teacher for children with a hearing or sight difficulty.

From the primary care trust (health)

  • A paediatrician
  • The child development team (CDT) – this is a team of people who share information on children with difficulties
  • A speech and language therapist
  • A physiotherapist or an occupational therapist (or both).

These people will assess your child and may suggest extra help. Some of them will work with you at home to help you with exercises to develop your child’s skills.

Useful contacts

The Family Information Service

Telephone: 020 8831 6298

You can follow this link for more information on the FIS

This service provides:

  • an information helpline which tells you about childcare and other activities for children aged 0 to 16 in the London Borough of Richmond; and
  • a range of leaflets.

Richmond AID access Service

Richmond AID are an independent charity providing impartial advice, support and guidance to disabled people and their families. The access service supports parent carers of children with additional needs from birth to 18 years.

For further details on local specialist services and providers you can also visit

Telephone: 020 8831 6076

Updated: 12 October 2015