A young person's guide to the statutory assessment

We all enjoy some things and have problems doing other things. Young people who have problems at school may have special needs.

If something at school is harder for you than for other people in your class, you may need extra help. Your teachers can help you but sometimes you may need someone else to help you as well.

If your teacher thinks that you need extra help, they may ask for you to have a statutory assessment. This looks at how you are doing in a lot of different things at school, like writing, spelling, maths, making friends and physical education. We (the local education authority) may write a statement that explains what you find difficult and what your school must do to help you.

What happens if I have a statutory assessment?

Teachers and other people who work with you or know you will write down what you are good at and what you find hard at school. These people will ask you to do some work so they can find out about your special needs.

You will have a meeting with:

  • a teacher at school;
  • a psychologist, who will visit the school and talk to you;
  • a doctor; and
  • other people who have worked with you.

Your parents can write about you as well.

We will ask you to tell us about yourself. What you say is very important and we will read it with the reports from your teachers and other people. Then we will decide if you need a statement.

What is a statement?

The statement will say:

  • what you find difficult;
  • what your school must do to help you;
  • which school you go to; and
  • whether you may need someone to work with you in some lessons.

There will be a meeting once a year with you, your family, your teacher and other people working with you in school. This is to see how you are improving, and you can tell everyone how you feel about school.

Updated: 29 June 2017