Sponsored Moves scheme
The Sponsored Moves Scheme can benefit housing association tenants who wish to move to a smaller property.
Get paid up to £7,500 to move house
Did you know, that if you moved from family sized accommodation to a one-bedroom property you could receive a payment of £2,500 for each bedroom you give up and have your removal costs paid?
- Do you have empty bedrooms you are not using?
- Is your property too large to heat and maintain?
- Would you like help and assistance to move?
- Would you like to receive £2,500 for each bedroom you give up?
This Council scheme helps Housing Association tenants move to smaller homes within the borough, in turn allowing families from the Council's Housing Register to move into accommodation that meets their needs. The scheme awards cash incentives to tenants who downsize their current properties, thereby helping to free up larger homes.
If you move from family sized accommodation to a one bedroom property you could receive a payment of £2,500 for each bedroom you give up and have your removal costs paid.
If you are living in a property with three bedrooms or more, you may be eligible to move to a two-bedroom property, if we consider you need to have a second bedroom.
Moving house is a big deal and there are benefits linked to the scheme to help you with the move. Once you have accepted an offer of a property, these are some of the benefits:
- You will receive a payment of £2,500 for each bedroom you give up - up to a maximum of £7,500 once you have moved into your property
- A personal service – we will arrange to visit you at home and offer a helping hand throughout the whole moving process for example disposal of unwanted furniture, arrangements for new carpet fitting and so on
- Decoration of the new property prior to you moving in
- The council will arrange your move with a professional removal company and pay the costs
- Liaison between you, allocations staff and the staff who manage your property to make sure there are no problems
- You are not limited to one offer of housing.
When you register on the scheme, you can express your preferences and we will endeavour to meet your needs. This way, you get much more choice over the property we can offer you.
Under the terms of the scheme you are not obligated to move once you have registered and you can tell us, at any point, if you no longer wish to be considered for a new home.
More information about the Sponsored Moves scheme
If you would like to talk to someone in more detail or if you are interested in joining the scheme please contact:
Sponsored Moves Officer,
London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames,
44 York Street,
Telephone: 020 8891 7497