Purchasing and waste
Rubbish…? No. It's true!
- Each pupil will use one and a half trees of paper and card each year.
- Recycling just one aluminium can saves enough energy to power a television for three hours.
- Every steel can is 100% recyclable. It can be recycled over and over again into products like bicycles, and of course new cans.
- One bottle bank can hold up to 3,000 bottles before it needs to be emptied.
- Recycling just one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60W light bulb for six hours.
Also, did you know?
- On average, every person in the UK throws away their own body weight in rubbish every seven weeks.
- In this borough alone we produce enough rubbish in one year to fill Twickenham Rugby Stadium.
Source: www.recyclenow.com, www.recycle.co.uk, www.britglass.co.uk, Recoup.
Waste, and the throw-away culture that encourages it, can be tackled through sustainable consumption. By adopting a 'reduce, reuse and recycle' approach, and using local goods and services of high environmental standards, schools can reduce costs and support ethical markets in their communities.
The waste and recycling team have a range of services, advice and links to programs to enable schools to reduce their waste:
Sustainability Unit, Richmond Council
Telephone: 020 8891 7302
Waste prevention and recycling
Waste and recycling, Richmond Council
Telephone: 08456 122 660