Weight restrictions can be imposed for structural or for environmental reasons.
The restriction prevents large vehicles from using inappropriate roads, routes and areas in order to:
- reduce danger to pedestrians and other road users
- prevent damage to buildings, roads and bridges
- preserve the character, amenity and environment of an area
- reduce and manage congestion on the roads
- procedures for implementation
- restrictions are subject to a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO)
Regulatory signs are erected on site to give effect to the TRO and to assist the police in carrying out enforcement
For information, advice and queries please contact the Transport Planning Team.