More information about residents permits
How to use your resident parking permit
Each new permit will be issued with a protective cover. This should be affixed to the inside of the corresponding vehicles’ windscreen on the nearside. The permit should always be displayed so that it is visible, failure to do so could result in a penalty charge notice.
When will your permit start?
If an application for a resident parking permit is received by the Council on or before the 17th of the month, the permit will be back-dated to the beginning of that month.
Permits applied for on or after 18th will be forward-dated to the beginning of the following month. In this case, a temporary permit will be electronically applied to the vehicle being registered for the permit for a short period, allowing time for the permit to be delivered.
What is a temporary permit?
When an online permit application is received, with all relevant documents and payment (online), a temporary permit is applied to the vehicle whilst Parking process your request. This will be for the same zone the application is being made for and is done electronically. There is nothing to display in the vehicle as the Enforcement Officers handsets are updated with the information.
About your permit
Subject to eligibility, one resident parking permit is required per vehicle to be parked within a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ).
- A resident permit does not entitle more than one vehicle to park, irrespective of the number of vehicles owned.
- Each permit is specific for a particular vehicle.
- Permits are not transferable from one person to another; or from one vehicle to another.
- There is no limit on the number of permits held within a household, although there may be differences in price for subsequent permits.
Where to park
- A permit does not reserve the holder a right to park in a specific parking bay.
- Permits are only valid in the zone of issue as shown on the permit by a letter(s) in the bottom right hand corner and on-street, by the same letter(s) on signage
- A permit will enable the holder to park in any vacant on-street resident parking permit holder’s space, or if applicable, shared use space within the permits’ zone of issue, between the hours displayed on signs. These are found at the entry points to the zone, or adjacent to some parking bays
- Parking places are not controlled outside of the zones restricted hours.
- Resident parking permits are not valid in off-street car parks, pay and display bays, or in other zones except where otherwise stated by signs at the locations or on the Where to park page
- Parking bays in CPZ’s can be subject to parking suspensions. Signs will show the date and duration of the suspension, these will always be advertised in advance.
What are the costs of permits based on?
See prices for individual permits and refunds calculations. Permits for Band A vehicles, or the Twickenham Event Zone (R) are free of charge.
Paying by credit or debit card
For security reasons the Council can only accept credit or debit card payment (excluding American Express and Diners Card) with online applications.
Credit card payments are subject to a handling fee. There is no handling fee for debit card payments.
Alternative application and payment method
The quickest and easiest way to buy a permit is online. Alternatively you can send in your application: Apply for a new permit(pdf, 35KB). Parking are not responsible for applications and payment lost in the post.
Paying by cheque
To pay by cheque, send in your completed application, along with all required proofs and cheque to:
- Parking Permits, PO Box 466, Twickenham TW1 9JT
- Make cheques payable to 'LBRuT'
All posted applications must be completed and signed and submitted with copies of your proofs. Unsigned forms or those without proofs will not be processed, we will send these back to you requesting the missing information. This will delay your permit.
Your permit letter will include a printed tear-off receipt
Bounced cheques or failed card payments will invalidate any permit(s) issued and will incur a £10 administration fee.
You can find more information or get copies of forms:
- Telephone: 08456 122 660 (9am to 5:15pm, Monday to Thursday; 9am to 5pm Friday, excluding Bank and Public holidays)
- Online: Contact form
- Write to: Parking Permits, PO Box 466, Twickenham TW1 9JT