Legal guidance - Traders scratch cards
The Council may request proofs at any time. If you cannot prove continued eligibility then the Council will invalidate your scratch cards.
Where Traders can park
- Traders with scratch cards for visiting sites in zones A1 and A2 can only park within either of those zones.
- Traders with scratch cards for visiting sites in any other zone can park in any zone except A1 or A2.
The zone letter(s) and hours of operation are displayed on signs at the entry points to the zone, and in some cases, on signs adjacent to the parking spaces. Parking places are not controlled outside of the zones' restricted hours.
Your traders vehicle
Your traders vehicle must be a passenger vehicle or a goods carrying vehicle with dimensions that do not exceed:
- 2.28 metres in height
- 5.25 metres in length
If you have any doubt, or have questions relating to other types of vehicles, contact us.
Is there an over 60s discount?
There is no discount on trader's parking sessions for the over 60s. The over 60s can use visitor parking sessions for traders working at their property, but these sessions or permits will be deducted from their annual household limit.
The Council regularly suspends bays from normal use for various reasons, e.g. house moves. Signs notifying of a bay suspension are posted as near to the bay as possible three full days before. More information can be found on the parking suspensions pages.
Be aware, any unauthorised vehicles found parked in a suspended bay may be liable for a Penalty Charge Notice. If your traders vehicle is to remain in the same bay for a number of days then you should check daily for any suspension notices.
Trader changes address
If the trader changes address during the works then the Council should be notified using the contact details below.
Traders scratch cards cannot be renewed as they do not expire.
If you need a refund for unused scratch cards, please complete an Application for a Refund(pdf, 33KB) form which can be downloaded, or is available from the Civic Centre in Twickenham
To cover administration costs you will receive less than half of the sale price of each returned scratch card:
Zones A1 and A2:
- £1.00 for every card sold at £2.20.
- 0.50p for every card sold at £1.10 (over 60’s discount).
All other zones:
- 0.50p for every card sold at £1.10.
- 0.25p for every card sold at 0.55p (over 60’s discount).
How refunds are issued
Refunds may be issued in one of the following ways
- If the permits were originally paid for by card and the card is still valid, the refund may be made back onto that card.
- If bank details are given, by BACS payment direct to your bank account.
- By cheque within 28 days.
The following are offences and the Council may take further action if you are found to be committing one.
It is an offence to make a false statement in order buy trader's parking permits, the Council may prosecute under either the Theft Acts or other relevant criminal legislation.
The maximum penalty on conviction or indictment is five years imprisonment and/or a fine on summary conviction, six months imprisonment or a fine of up to £5,000.
Mishandling and forging documents
It is an offence to:
- Use or lend to another person any permit or other authorisation with intent to deceive, and
- Make or have in one's possession anything so closely resembling a permit or other authorisation as to be calculated to deceive.
The maximum penalty on conviction is two years' imprisonment or a fine of up to £5,000.
Parking in a permit bay without a valid trader's parking permit
It is an offence to park in a resident’s bay without having a valid trader's parking permit even if an application for such has been sent to the Council.
Contact details and more information
You can find more information or get copies of forms:
- Online: Contact form
- Telephone: 08456 122 660 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday excluding Bank and Public holidays)
- Write to: Parking Permits, PO Box 466, Twickenham TW1 9JT.