Who is it for?
You may be able to get a grant if you:
- are a resident of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
- are in receipt of welfare benefits
- are on a low income
Applicants must also meet the following conditions:
- aged 16 or over
- not have received a grant under the scheme within the past 6 months
- not have received a grant under the scheme for the item/service you are applying for within the past 12 months
- unable to meet the need through any other source
- subject to serious hardship which might affect your health and safety
The following criteria will not be considered essential in respect of emergency/disaster payments:
- you must be normally resident in Richmond
- you must not be subject to any immigration controls
When can a grant be given?
Grants may be awarded in the following circumstances:
- to help you, or a member of your family, or someone you will be looking after to return to the community from care
- to prevent you, a member of your family, or someone you are looking after from going into care
- to help you, or your partner, care for a prisoner or young offender on their release from an institution
- to help people set up home in the community as part of a planned resettlement programme following an unsettled way of life
- to assist with certain travel expenses
- to ease exceptional pressures on you or your family arising from wholly exceptional circumstances
What can the grant be used for?
The type of things the grant can be used for include:
- cooker or microwave
- washing machine
- bed clothes
- short term living expenses in emergency situations
How it works
The scheme is managed and delivered by the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. We will let you know if your application has been successful within ten working days and you will be told the items you have been awarded.
Awards will be made in the form of referrals to local suppliers.
If you need help with your application you can get in touch with these organisations:
Please print the application form(pdf, 238KB), complete and return it with all of the evidence required.
The form can be returned:
- to the Main Reception at the Civic Centre, 44 York Street Twickenham TW1 3BZ
- by post to Local Assistance Scheme, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
- or scanned, and emailed to LAS@richmond.gov.uk
if you need help with your application you can get in touch with these organisations:
Other sources of help
You may be able to get help in a crisis from one of these organisations: