Who is it for?
You may be able to get a grant if you:
- get an income related benefit
- are due to leave care (e.g. hospital, care home, prison) within the next 6 weeks and are likely to receive an income related benefits
- on a low income
Applicants must also meet the following conditions:
- Aged 16 or over;
- Not have received a grant under the scheme within the past 6 months;
- Not have received a grant under the scheme for the item/service you are applying for within the past 12 months;
- You cannot meet the need through any other source;
- You would be subject to serious hardship which might affect your health and safety.
The following criteria will not be considered essential in respect of emergency/disaster payments:
- You must be normally resident in Richmond;
- You must not be subject to any immigration controls.
Find out if you are eligible
When can a grant be given?
Grants may be awarded in the following circumstances:
- To help you, or a member of your family, or someone you will be looking after to return to the community from care;
- To prevent you, a member of your family, or someone you are looking after from going into care;
- To help you, or your partner, care for a prisoner or young offender on their release from an institution;
- To help people set up home in the community as part of a planned resettlement programme following an unsettled way of life;
- To assist with certain travel expenses;
- To ease exceptional pressures on you or your family arising from wholly exceptional circumstances.
What can the grant be used for?
The type of things the grant can be used for include:
- Cooker / Microwave
- Washing machine
- Bed clothes
- Short term living expenses in emergency situations
How it works
The Scheme is managed and delivered by Northgate Public Services. All applications must be made online or by telephone. Northgate will let you know if your application has been successful within five working days and you will be told the amount you have been awarded.
Awards will be made in the form of vouchers for household goods or pre-paid cards.
You can apply:
- By telephone: 020 3324 0381 (9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday)
if you need help with your application you can get in touch with these organisations:
Other sources of help
You may be able to get help in a crisis from one of these organisations: