How to apply for a Blue Badge
Types of Blue Badge
There are two types of Blue Badge:
- A personal Blue Badge for a qualifying individual.
- An organisation Blue Badge for organisations, groups or residential homes who are concerned with the care of individuals who in themselves would qualify for a Blue Badge, and who need to provide transport to these people as part of their care.
Important Eligibility changes
The following eligibility criteria have been added to the Blue Badge scheme:
- Eligibility has been extended to children under the age of three (previously two) who meet the criteria as specified in the current application form.
- Eligibility has been extended to certain service personnel and veterans as specified in the eligibility criteria in the application pack
All other eligibility criteria remain the same.
Blue Badge applicants can apply on line at www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge.
Alternatively you can download and print the Blue Badge application pack. View our Personal Information Policy here.
- Application form(pdf, 122KB)
- Application letter(pdf, 28KB)
- Eligibility criteria(pdf, 60KB)
- Appeals procedure(pdf, 39KB)
If you have any questions about the form, need help completing or if you would like a copy sent to you, please call 020 8831 6096/6094 or email AccessibleTransport@richmond.gov.uk.
When you have completed the application form, please return it with all the relevant documents to:
The Accessible Transport Unit,
4 Waldegrave Road,
Postage: Please make sure that you use the correct postage when sending in your application so that your application is not delayed. If you are unsure how much postage you require please have your envelope weighed at a Post Office.
Changes to Blue Badge Design
In line with recent changes in Department for Transport legislation, from 1st January 2012 new design Blue Badges will be issued by all local authorities nationwide. These will be of a rigid plastic design (PVC), and will include several new security features which will make badges harder to copy, forge and alter. They will also be resistant to fading and more resistant to damage. The new design badges will incorporate a digital photograph of the badge holder on the reverse of the badge. Please note that badges of the previous laminated card design will continue to be valid until their marked expiry date.
More information on how to apply for a Blue Badge
If you require an application pack or more information about the Blue Badge scheme, please contact The Accessible Transport Unit, Blue Badge Section.
Telephone: 020 8831 6096/6094
Disabled Motoring UK is a national membership charity fighting to improve mobility and access for all disabled people including drivers, passengers, Blue Badge holders, scooter and wheelchair users.