Housing for older people - Retirement, Extra Care and other options

Retirement and Extra Care housing (formerly known as sheltered housing) is provided by a selection of housing providers ranging from large mainstream housing associations such as Richmond Housing Partnership (RHP) to small voluntary organisations. The Council no longer provides housing, but administers the Supporting People programme which helps to meet some of the costs of housing related support. You may be eligible if you currently own your home, rent from a private landlord or Housing Association or occupy some other form of housing

Retirement housing

This is purpose built housing for older people in self-contained flats. Residents enjoy the benefits of living independently within a safe and secure environment and have access to shared facilities, social and leisure opportunities and some support if needed. A resident or mobile scheme manager is available and usually a 24 hour alarm system to summon help if needed. Schemes are available with flats to either buy or rent. There is a wide selection in the borough ranging from schemes comprising only six flats to others with 40 or more.

Extra care housing

Extra Care Housing offers accommodation for older people in self-contained flats with the benefit of some shared services and support from trained care staff.

There are two schemes in the Borough:

  • Sandown Court in Twickenham -  25 one bedroom flats
  • Dean Road in Hampton - 41 flats, a mix of one and two bedrooms (some of which are for sale)

You will need to be assessed as having care needs and further details are on the Adult Social Care page Extra Care Housing.

Our information booklet on Housing for Older People(pdf, 946KB) provides comprehensive information about retirement and extra care housing in the borough. Information on RHP retirement schemes is also available from their website.

Sponsored Moves

Older Housing Association tenants who are currently under occupying their property may benefit from the Sponsored Moves Scheme which provides generous grant money and assistance to move to a smaller more suitable home

Seaside and Country Homes

This scheme is available to older Housing Association tenants who would like to move to a retirement home by the sea or in other areas away from London. Priority is given to tenants who are currently under occupying a larger property which would provide housing for a family in need. Details are available on the Housing Moves website.

Older People's Shared Ownership (OPSO)

OPSO is a shared ownership scheme for people over the age of 55. The scheme lets you own a home without having to buy it outright - enabling you to live independently with the reassurance of 24 hour emergency assistance. Details can be found on the FIRST STEPS website.

For further information and to apply for any of the above schemes contact the Housing Provision Team on 020 8487 5454

Up to:

Updated: 26 March 2014