Report a repair

You need to contact the local housing office of your Housing Association to report a repair.

When you report a repair, it will help if you give the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your address and confirmation that you are a tenant rather than a leaseholder
  • A telephone number where they can contact you
  • A time when someone will be at home to let the worker in
  • As much information as possible about the problem

Further problems

We will investigate complaints about repairs and other problems in tenanted properties when your landlord refuses to deal with them. Examples include:

  • Leaking roofs
  • Dampness
  • Disrepair
  • Unsuitable kitchen facilities
  • Unsuitable bathroom facilities

In most cases the landlord must deal with disrepair or other problems within a tenanted property. We must ask your landlord if s/he would like to accompany us when we inspect your home .

We also inspect Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), often known as bedsit accommodation, for repairs, fire protection and suitable facilities. Please see multiple occupancy homes for more information.

If you wish to make a request for advice on your rented property, please use our online form or contact us directly.

Emergency repairs

Out of hours emergency repairs (anything which is a risk to a person's health or which may cause damage to the property) can be reported by phoning the Council's emergency line on 020 8744 2442.

Up to:

Updated: 20 September 2013