Early Education Funding (EEF) for Two Year Olds

15 hours free childcare and early education for two year olds.

Apply for Early Education Funding

Is my child eligible?

To be eligible you must be receiving one of the following:

  • Income support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit, provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs
  • Working Tax Credit and earning less than £16,190 a year

From September 2014 your child will also be eligible if:

  • They have a current statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • They receive Disability Living Allowance

In addition all looked after children and children who have left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order will be eligible.

When is my child eligible and when can I submit my application form?

Children are eligible the term after their second birthday.

The term dates are the same every year and are set by the Government:

Second birthday between Eligible from Submit application
1 April – 31 August Autumn term starting in September After 31 March
1 September – 31 December Spring term starting in January After 31 August
1 January – 31 March Summer term starting in April After 31 December

What happens if my income changes?

If your child has already been offered a funded place, this does not change anything. Your child will continue to access the Early Education Funding (EEF) for Two Year Olds scheme until they are eligible for universal 3-4 year old early education entitlement.

What happens if I change address?

If you move away from the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, funding will stop and you will need to reapply to the local authority in which you now live.

Are there any other requirements to be part of the scheme?

In the first instance you need to be registered with your local Children’s Centre.

How much free childcare is available?

A maximum of 15 hours over 38 weeks (term time only), though in some cases there may be flexibility. Please contact the Family Information Service (see below for contact details).

What types of childcare are available?

The Family Information Service will find a suitable place of high quality, which may be either a childminder or a nursery.

Will I need to make payments?

No – all fees will be paid direct to the childcare provider.

What happens if my child does not attend the childcare provider?

Regular monitoring of attendance will take place. If your child does not attend, the place may be offered to someone else unless there are exceptional circumstances. If you decide to remove your child from the childcare provider, you must inform the Family Information Service.

What happens when my child turns 3?

All children are entitled to receive universal early education entitlement following the term after their third birthday. We endeavour to place children where they can move smoothly from two to three year old funding.

If your childcare provider is unable to accommodate your child when your child is three you should inform the Family Information Service who will find you an alternative childcare provider.

You may wish to register your child for a local authority nursery place at age three. Please note that these places are limited and that you will need to put your child’s name down when they turn two.

Further information

For further information please contact: the Family Information Service, your local children’s centre, health visitor or other professional.

Please note that we can only process applications relating to children that will be attending childcare within Richmond Borough. If you are planning to use a provider based in another borough you will need to apply to them directly. If you aren't sure which local authority you should apply to please speak to your chosen provider.

Phone: 020 8831 6429
Email: fis@achievingforchildren.org.uk
Web: www.richmond.gov.uk/fis

Updated: 27 March 2015