Serving a notice under the Party Wall Act
When should you serve the notice?
- Two months before you start work to the party wall
- One month before the planned starting date of any excavations
Please note that the notice only lasts for one year before it expires and a new one would then need to be issued.
What happens next?
The people you serve notice upon have 14 days to respond either:
- Yes – they agree to the work being carried out unconditionally, or
- Yes – they agree to the work being carried out but with conditions, by serving a ‘counter-notice’
- Any ‘counter-notice’ must be served within 14 days of the original notice
- If you do not respond to a ‘counter-notice’ within 14 days, a dispute is regarded as having arisen
- If the adjoining owner(s) do not respond to the original notice within 14 days, a dispute is regarded as having arisen