The current Chief Executive is Gillian Norton, who was appointed in August 1999.
The Chief Executive is the senior officer who leads and takes responsibility for the work of the paid staff of the Council. The Council is a large and diverse organisation with a turnover of more than £400 million. It is responsible for a very wide range of statutory services and employs some 1,900 non schools staff. The Council is judged by external regulators to be performing well providing high quality, low cost services which represent good value for money.
The role of Chief Executive is a full time appointment. Post holders are selected on merit, against objective criteria, following public advertisement. They are appointed by the whole Council.
As head of the paid service, the Chief Executive works closely with elected members to deliver:
- Leadership: working with elected members to ensure strong and visible leadership and direction, encouraging and enabling managers to motivate and inspire their teams.
- Strategic direction: ensuring all staff understand and adhere to the strategic aims of the organisation and follow the direction set by the elected members.
- Policy advice: acting as the principal policy adviser to the elected members of the Council to lead the development of workable strategies which will deliver the political objectives set by elected members.
- Partnerships: leading and developing strong partnerships across the local community to achieve improved outcomes and better public services for local people.
- Operational management: overseeing financial and performance management, risk management, people management and change management within the council.
Contact the Chief Executive
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Telephone: 020 8891 7908
Fax: 020 8891 7703