Register the death

Registration Services can help with the registration of a death.

Arrange a funeral

How to arrange a funeral In some circumstances, a death may be referred to a Coroner, for example following an accident, violent death, or even if the person had not been seen by a Doctor for 14 days before their death. Our page on the role of the Coroner may help you to understand what they do.

There are two options for a funeral: burial and cremation. The Cemeteries Team can advise you of your options.

If you or your partner are receiving benefits, such as Housing Benefit, Income Support, etc, you may receive a funeral payment to help with the costs. The Social Security Agency website has useful information which may help with this.

Estates, wills and the Probate Office

The Probate Service of Her Majesty's Courts Service can help with information on estates and wills.

Inform Council services

Inform Council services with the Tell Us Once service.

Inform other people

The other groups you may need to tell can include:

  • Doctors
  • Dentists
  • Hospital (appointments already made)
  • Banks and building societies
  • Credit card companies
  • DVLA
  • Insurance companies
  • Pensions
  • Social Security benefits (Inland Revenue website)
  • Tax Office
  • Solicitor, accountant or financial adviser
  • Utility providers
  • Passport office
  • Television licence
  • Clubs (such as Rotary clubs,institutes etc)
  • Tradesmen, such as milkman,newsagent

Cancelling unwanted post

Receiving unsolicited mail addressed to the deceased can be distressing. The Mailing Preference Service can help with unwanted post.


Our bereavement section gives information on external organisations.

Our page for children dealing with bereavement may also help those who are caring for a child who has lost a parent.

Updated: 21 March 2014