Shop front street trading
If you are applying for a street trading licence to extend the day-to-day business of the your premises onto the public footpath/highway (eg a greengrocer to display fruit and veg) you will need a licence.
Applying for a licence
You will need to:
- complete the relevant paper application form(pdf, 31KB) / online form
- submit two passport size photographs, taken within the last twelve months of the manager of the premises/shop and signed on the reverse by the applicant
- provide a copy of your public liability insurance to the value of £5,000,000 to cover the activity of street trading
- provide proof of home address
- pay the relevant fee
Licenses will not be granted without all the documentation being provided.
Your trolley, stand or stall must be suitably constructed so that it can be easily removable in the event of any emergency, for the maintenance of the footpath and always at the end of every days trading.
Issue of licence
A licence to street trade as above may be either issued for 6 months (on a temporary basis), 1 year or up to 3 years. This would depend on location and whether the street in which your business is situated is designated (see list). Consultation with the highways authority and in some cases Transport for London if on a Red Route and the police must take place before any licence may be issued.
If your location is not in a designated street, a temporary licence might be issued whilst the process of designation takes place. If at the location is not designated after the end of the licence period there is no appeal under the provisions of the London Local Authorities Act 1990 (as amended).
If your shop has a private forecourt you may trade without a licence if you already pay the business rates for the site. Please check with the licensing team on the contact details below.
- Designated streets list(pdf, 72KB)
- Street trading notes(pdf, 23KB)
- Standard conditions for street trading(pdf, 67KB)
Contact the Licensing Team
If you have any questions or comments please contact Licensing
44 York Street
Telephone: 020 8831 6455
Fax: 020 8891 7713