Itinerant street trader
If you are looking to sell from a stall or vehicle either on the public footpath or highway (eg a flower stall) on a permanent or semi-permanent basis you will need to apply for this licence.
Applying for a licence
You will need to:
- complete the relevant paper application form(pdf, 30KB) / online form
- submit two passport sized photographs, taken within the last 12 months and signed on the reverse by the applicant
- provide a copy of your public liability insurance to the value of £5,000,000 to cover the activity of street trading
- provide proof of home address
- pay the relevant fee
Licenses will not be granted without all documentation being provided.
Issue of licence
A licence to street trade as above may be either issued for 6 months (on a temporary basis) or 1 year should the location be designated. Consultation with the highways authority and in some cases Transport for London (if on a red route) and the police must take place before any licence may be issued.
A temporary licence might be issued while the process of designation takes place. If the location is not designated at the end of the licence period there is no right of appeal under the Act.
If a company or partnership makes applications for more than one licence, photographs must be submitted of the individual responsible for the premises/business eg. the manager.
- Designated sites in the London Borough of Richmond(pdf, 72KB)
- Street trading notes(pdf, 23KB)
- Street trading standard conditions(pdf, 67KB)
Contact the Licensing Team
If you have any questions or comments please contact Licensing
44 York Street
Telephone: 020 8831 6455
Fax: 020 8891 7713