We keep a register of found and missing dogs in the Borough.
In addition we will arrange for any stray dogs that are tethered or securely held to be collected and taken to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.
Responsible dog ownership
Dog owners in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames are encouraged to be responsible and
- Keep dogs on leads
- Keep a collar and tag on dogs
- Arrange for dogs to have microchips fitted
- Keep the information on tags and microchips up to date
Further information about microchipping is available on the RSPCA website at Dog Pet Care
A stray dogs can cause problems
- Distress for owners when dogs are lost
- Dogs get distressed when lost
- Stray dogs can become involved in traffic accidents (and owners can be held responsible for damages and injuries caused).
Charges for stray dogs
If your dog strays and is picked up by the Council, you will have to pay the costs involved. Costs can be considerable and are as follows:
- Vets fees (full costs).
- A pick up fee of £89 the first time that the dog is picked up by the Council.
- If the dog is picked up on more than one occasion, a pick up fee of £185 plus £48 per hour if collection takes more than two hours.
- Kennelling charges at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home or other kennel used by the Council (full cost).
- Up to £179 delivery fees if the dog is taken to kennels other than Battersea Dogs and Cats Home.
Reporting a stray dog
Stray dogs can be reported to the Council during office hours (Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5.15pm, Friday 9am to 5pm).
Telephone the Residential Team on 0208 891 7800 or email email@example.com .
(Out of office hours please telephone our contractor on 01932 425718.)
Dogs will be collected if they are tethered or securely held and are usually taken to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home or other kennels used by the Council
If you have lost a dog
Lost dogs you can be reported to the Council using the details above and to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home online and on 0901 477 8477.
If you wish to make a request for advice on stray dogs, please use our online form or contact us directly.