Green Flag Awards
The Awards represent the National Standards for Parks and Open Spaces in England and Wales. More information can be found on the Green Flag Award website.
About the scheme
The award scheme began in 1996 as a means of recognising and rewarding the best green spaces in the country. It was also seen as a way of encouraging others to achieve the same high environmental standards, creating a benchmark of excellence in recreational green areas.
While the standards for the Green Flag Award are high, each application is considered on its own merits. It is recognise that every green space has its own unique character and this is reflected in the assessment process. All sites receive a personal visit from highly experienced and respected judges to assess suitability for an award. Judging is conducted on a points system and any entry that reaches our benchmark standard is eligible to fly a prestigious Green Flag.
The award acknowledges high standards of park facilities, including maintenance and community engagement. A judge allocated by the Civic Trust examines a park using set criteria.
Successful parks and green spaces are eligible to fly the ‘Green Flag’ for 1 year after which they have to re-apply to retain the award. However, a park or green space must maintain and improve on previous standards to be guaranteed a subsequent award.
The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames currently has thirteen Green Flag Awards.
Green Flag Awarded in 2012
- Cambridge Gardens
- Crane Park (joint with LB Hounslow)
- Garrick’s Lawn
- Hatherop Park
- Kneller Gardens
- Kew Green
- Palewell Common and Fields
- Radnor Gardens
- Richmond Green
- Terrace Gardens and Buccleuch Gardens
- The Kings Field
- Twickenham Green
- York House Gardens
Management Plans 2012
Each site must have a Management Plan for it to be entered into the award scheme, all of which are below.
- Cambridge Gardens(pdf, 737KB)
- Crane Park(pdf, 435KB)
- Hatherop Park(pdf, 605KB)
- Kew Green(pdf, 1029KB)
- Kneller Gardens(pdf, 562KB)
- Palewell Common & Fields(pdf, 1443KB)
- Radnor Garden(pdf, 1187KB)s
- Richmond Green(pdf, 544KB)
- Terrace Gardens and Buccleuch Gardens(pdf, 521KB)
- The Kings Field(pdf, 645KB)
- Twickenham Green(pdf, 613KB)
- York House Gardens(pdf, 1602KB)
- Conservation Management Plan Green Heritage Award 2012(pdf, 328KB)
- Management Plan Green Flag Award 2012(pdf, 38KB)
More information on Green Flag Awards
For information on Richmond Council’s Green Flag Awards contact the Parks Department
Telephone: 08456 122660