Key worker schemes
There are schemes available to key workers who directly or indirectly provide key services to residents in the borough:
New Build Homebuy (formerly known as Shared Ownership)
You buy a share of a property and pay rent on the remainder, gradually buying further shares so that eventually you could own the property outright. You must first apply to the Richmond Housing Register to be eligible for this scheme.
For an application form, to join the Housing Register, or for general enquiries please contact the Housing Provision Team on:
Housing Provision Team
44 York Street
Telephone: 020 8487 5454
This scheme offers new build homes to rent at 80% (or less) of the typical market rent value. It is only open to key workers.
Keyworker rental properties are available through:
Richmond Housing Partnership - 0800 032 2433
Richmond upon Thames Churches Housing - 020 8481 7277
Am I eligible for these schemes?
The following groups can use these schemes:
- NHS staff (excluding doctors, dentists and administrative staff);
- Teachers with Qualified Teacher Status or Further Education Teachers’ Qualifications (in schools, further education and sixth form colleges);
- Police officers and some civilian staff in certain police forces;
- Prison service and probation service staff;
- Ministry of Defence staff;
- Local Authority workers such as social workers, educational psychologists, planners (in London), occupational therapists, and others;
- Members of the fire and rescue service.
Eligibility will vary across regions depending on local recruitment and retention priorities. Richmond Council has a wider definition of key workers than the London-wide scheme. We include ambulance and bus drivers in our definition of key workers.
In addition to meeting the general eligibility criteria you must also:
- Be employed in a qualifying key worker profession;
- Have a household income that does not exceed £60,000 per year;
- Have at least 5 years to serve prior to retirement.
Full details of eligibility can be found on the FIRST STEPS website.