Dropping or depositing litter on any land open to the air is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and offenders can be served with a Fixed Penalty Notice for £80 or face prosecution and a maximum fine of £2,500 on conviction.
Council fixed penalty notices for littering may also be issued by the police to those caught urinating in the street.
What we would ask of you
- Please do not drop litter - use a street litter bin for items such as wrappers, unwanted food, and food and drink containers. If there is not a street litter bin in the vicinity, please take it home with you.
- Please dispose of domestic and commercial waste responsibly
- Please do not place your domestic waste or recycling, or commercial waste, out for collection until early on the morning of your collection day. (Or as late as possible on the evening before your collection day)
- Please report any littering problems to us
Reporting a problem with litter
- If there is litter down a particular road in the Borough, please check our Street Cleansing Schedule to check when the road is next scheduled to be cleaned. If the next cleansing day is not within the next day or two, please report the litter to us online or telephone 08456 122 660.
- If you are aware of someone who persistently places their domestic or commercial waste out for collection other than on the collection day, please contact our Street Scene Enforcement Team by email at email@example.com.
- If you believe that a street litter bin is required at a particular location, please put your request in writing to our Street Cleansing Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.