The planning and other fees described are set by Central Government. The Council has no discretion over fees to be paid in any case.
Payment of fees
- The fee due must be paid when the application is deposited.
- No decision can be made on an application for which the correct fee has not been paid.
- The council has NO discretion to vary fees.
- Cheques and Postal Orders should be made payable to The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.
- There is no VAT on planning fees.
- Payment can be made by all major debit cards and credit cards (except American Express or Diners cards) when submitting an application online. Credit card payments are subject to a handling fee. There is no handling fee for debit card payments. More information about submitting applications online.
Refund of fees
Fees can only be refunded if:
- Paid in respect of a development for which permission or consent is not required and the local planning authority decline to determine the application.
- More than the correct fee was paid
- The application is rejected as invalidly made
No refund can be made where an application is withdrawn.
Special rules for some applications
There are special rules for calculating fees for:
- Mixed use proposals;
- Deemed applications connected with enforcement appeals
If your application falls within any of these categories, please phone for advice.
Re-submission of a planning application
Where planning permission has been refused or an application withdrawn, the re-submission of a planning application within 12 months for a similar scheme on the same site by the same applicant would not require a fee.