Patient Guide to Exercise Referral
The Exercise Referral Scheme offers the help and support you need to start exercising. On this page we have answered some of the most common questions that patients ask about the scheme.
How do I get started on the Exercise Referral Scheme?
A health professional must refer you via LiveWell Richmond to the Exercise Referral Scheme. Once your referral is received you will be contacted to discuss the details of the scheme and arrange for you to have your first assessment at the facility of your choice. You must have a referral from a recognised health professional such as your GP or physiotherapist to start on the scheme.
What will I have to do on the Exercise Referral Scheme?
All that is expected from you on the Exercise Referral Scheme is a commitment to get more active, with the help of our instructors. We recommend that you attend your chosen fitness facility twice a week to get the full benefits. You might also like to take up activities such as walking outside of your sessions at the fitness facility.
Is it safe for me to exercise?
If your medical professional completes an exercise referral form for you, they are giving you the go ahead to get active. A trained fitness professional will provide a full fitness assessment and 12 week programme of activity to meet your individual medical and fitness needs. There will always be an element of risk associated with being physically active, however the benefits to health far outweight the risks of not being active. Many thousands of patients have taken part in physical activity referral schemes and there remain very few reported serious adverse events.
What services and incentives will I be offered on the scheme?
- A free fitness assessment and readiness for exercise screening with a qualified exercise instructor.
- A free gym induction and exercise programme designed to meet your individual medical and fitness needs.
- Reduced rates on gym and classes for 12 weeks and following completion of the scheme.
- Access to exercise referral group classes (not available at all facilities)
- A free end assessment when you complete 12 weeks on the scheme.
- Fitness reports at the beginning and end of the scheme
- Continued support and advice from our dedicated exercise professionals
How long does the Exercise Referral Scheme last?
The Exercise Referral Scheme is intended as an introduction to getting more active. You will have the support and direction of a dedicated instructor for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks you will be assisted in finding the right activity to keep you motivated to exercise.