What are the benefits of being a governor?
Being a governor is an enormously challenging and rewarding opportunity.
Here are a few of the benefits:
- A sense of satisfaction through knowing children will benefit from your efforts.
- The opportunity to develop new skills and to strengthen existing ones.
- The opportunity to work with a wide range of people from a variety of social, cultural and religious backgrounds.
- The opportunity to gain an understanding of, and experience in, key areas such as finance, personnel, target setting and strategic planning.
- The opportunity to gain an awareness of the education system as a whole.
Through solving problems ranging from finance to site management; human resources to marketing; pupil welfare to curriculum development, every governor is guaranteed to broaden their skills and knowledge in some way and this can be enhanced through training offered by the local authority. All decisions are made with the consensus of the whole governing body which brings into play the softer skills of teamwork, communication and tolerance.