Council Tax bands and charges

The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on which band your property is in.


How your bill is calculated

The total bill is made up of two elements – the Richmond element, which we set, and the Greater London Authority element, which is set by the GLA.

As part of the Provisional Local Government Finance Settlement (LGFS) 2017/18, the Secretary of State offered local authorities with adult social care responsibilities the option of increasing Council Tax up to 4.99% for the next two years, consisting of up to 3% for the part of the overall change attributable to the adult social care precept, and up to 1.99% for the part attributable to general expenditure. For 2017/18, Richmond Council opted to increase by 2.0% for adult social care and 1.99% for general expenditure, making an overall increase of 3.99%.

Combining this with the increase in the Greater London Authority element of 1.46%, the overall Council Tax payable for 2017/18 has increased by 3.55%.

Read our Guide to Council Tax and Business Rates (pdf, 253 KB) to find out more about our charges.

Council Tax bands for 2017/2018
Band Valuation Richmond Council Tax Requirement (2017/18) Greater London Authority (2017/18) Council Tax charge
A Up to £40,000 £905.68 £186.68 £1,092.36
B £40,001 to £52,000 £1,056.63 £217.79 £1,274.42
C £52,001 to £68,000 £1,207.57 £248.91 £1,456.48
D £68,001 to £88,000 £1,358.52 £280.02 £1,638.54
E £88,001 to £120,000 £1,660.41 £342.25 £2,002.66
F £120,001 to £160,000 £1,962.31 £404.47 £2,366.78
G £160,001 to £320,000 £2,264.20 £466.70 £2,730.90
H £320,001 plus £2,717.04 £560.04 £3,277.08

Council Tax bands are based on how much the properties would have sold for on 1 April 1991 as determined by the Valuation Office Agency.

If you think your band is too high

The Valuation Office Agency can advise you how to proceed if you think your Council Tax band is wrong:

The Valuation Office Agency
Second Floor
1 Francis Grove
SW19 4DT

Telephone: 03000 501501

If you make an appeal, you still have to pay your Council Tax bill based on the current band until the appeal is decided.

Updated: 23 August 2017