Christmas tree recycling
Between Thursday 2 January and Wednesday 15 January, we'll be collecting real Christmas trees from households for recycling.
You should leave your tree out on the same day we collect garden waste from your road.
Find my day
Search for your collection day. We’ll show you the day of your Christmas tree collection.
If you miss your garden waste recycling day, consider taking your tree to one of the larger borough drop off points listed below.
After 15 January 2014 Christmas trees presented on recycling and waste collections days will still be collected but may not be recycled.
- Leave your tree outside your property in a place that does not block the pavement, ideally next to your recycling containers.
- We only collect real Christmas trees
- Please remove all decorations, pots and stands
- If your tree is more than 3 metres long, please cut into small pieces.
- Assisted collections are not available for Christmas tree recycling.
How are real Christmas trees recycled?
Real Christmas trees collected for recycling go with the general green garden waste to Oxford to be composted in windrows.
Drop off points for real Christmas tree recycling
As an alternative, you can take your tree to a drop off point at:
- Townmead Road Reuse and Recycling Centre
- Wickes* car park recycling site, South Road, Twickenham (26 December 2013 until 31 January 2014)
- Squires* Garden Centre in Twickenham (From 2 - 31 January 2014)
- Kew Gardens*
* No commercial use - residents only.
Reusing your Christmas tree
If you buy a tree that has been grown in a container or potted with its roots intact, plant it in your garden after Christmas. Alternatively, transfer it into a bigger pot so the roots have room to grow and use it again next year.
If you no longer want your artificial tree please consider extending its life by donating it to a local group or charity shop.