Resident parking discounts
Discounts available for residents' Pay and Display parking
Residents of the borough may be entitled to:
- Individual 30 minute sessions of free parking in Pay and Display bays.
- RichmondCard holders can also use free individual 30 minute sessions in the Council’s two multi storey car parks.
- All residents can have a 10% discount on parking charges, or if you are over 75, a 20% discount.
- Free parking for residents with Band A vehicles (vehicles registered on or after 1 March 2001 with engine CO2 emissions of 100g/km or less).
About the 30 minutes of free parking
The 30 minute sessions are for single instances of parking only. This cannot be used as part of a longer stay (i.e. only paying for half an hour when the vehicle is parked for an hour). Individual sessions can be used throughout the day, but they must be started at least an hour apart. The systems (either RingGo Cashless or RichmondCard) will prevent you booking a free session in-between.
Paid for sessions can still be booked during the intervening period, the relevant resident discount will still be applied
What is needed to use the discounts
You must be a resident and have one of the following;
- a Pay As You Go account (PAYG)
- a RingGo Cashless account, with proof of residency supplied
- a RichmondCard
- a low emission (Band A) vehicle using either a RingGo Cashless account or RichmondCard
If you have scratch cards, you can still use discounted Pay and Display parking by registering for either RingGo Cashless or a RichmondCard, supplying proofs of residency.
Discounted parking with a Pay As You Go (PAYG) account
If you have an active PAYG account, you will be automatically registered for RingGo Cashless parking. For sessions longer than 30 minutes, RingGo applies the relevant discount. If you have a low emissions vehicle, proofs can be uploaded from your RingGo account.
If you don’t have a PAYG account, visit RingGo to register. Once registered, you can upload the relevant proofs via RingGo’s residency page and we'll process your application within 2 working days. RingGo will then automatically apply the relevant discounts to parking sessions.
Applying for a RichmondCard
When you apply for a RichmondCard, you'll be asked for proofs. The card will then automatically apply any relevant discounts to your parking sessions.
Low emission vehicles
Residents’ vehicles which are ‘Band A’ (CO2 emissions equal to or less than 100g / km) are exempt from all parking charges and permit charges (other than visitors’ permits), however they are subject to any maximum stay period which may be in force at any car park or on-street bay.
There are two ways to claim discounted parking if you have a ‘Band A’ vehicle.
If you already have a RingGo Cashless account you do not need an additional PAYG account, but you need to supply proofs, copies of these can be uploaded through your account. Go to RingGo where you will be asked to provide proofs of residency and ‘Band A’ vehicle proofs, such as;
- Vehicle registration document, or
- DVLA website print out, or
- Vehicles manufacturer's handbook.
Details of your vehicle will have been requested during your application, which can only be used for that particular vehicle.