Clinical waste from households
From 3 June 2013 the London Borough of Richmond will work with Essentia Community Services to improve waste collections for Borough residents who administer medications at home.
Two free services are offered (where your clinician has advised that you are producing clinical waste):
- A weekly Orange Sack Collection
- A One-Off Yellow Sharps Bin Collection
Join the service
If you have been prescribed medication by your GP or hospital to administer at home and would like to sarrange a collection please visit Essentia Community Services and complete the Self Medicating WIRE form.
What goes in your Clinical Waste
- Swabs and contaminated dressings
- Drugs and Pharmaceuticals which you cannot return to your pharmacist or drug store
- Excreta and body fluids (where contaminated with blood, or you have been advised you have an infectious condition)
- Used syringes and needles
- We no longer collect incontinence wear/pads - this should be double bagged and placed in with your domestic waste (black bag). If you are currently receiving collections for incontinence wear, please contact us directly on 0208 254 8337 to inform us of this so we can make the appropriate changes to the collection schedule.
- We do not collect waste generated by a district nurse - this will be taken by the nurse.
Amend or cancel
If you wish to change the date or time of your next or future collections, or no longer require the service, please visit Essentia Community Services and complete the Self Medicating WIRE form or call 0208 254 8337.