Council Tax and financial hardship
Problems with paying your bill
- Don't hesitate to contact us if you are having difficulty in making payments. We will be able to discuss your payment plan and offer you other advice.
- Check to see if you are eligible for Housing or Council Tax Reduction, a discount or exemption.
Independent financial advice
- The Moneymadeclear service has impartial information and guidance about your finances. It's part the Consumer Financial Education Body (CFEB).
- The Debt Advice Foundation is a registered national debt advice and education charity offering free, confidential support and advice to anyone wanting to get out of debt. Because they are a charity, you can be sure that the advice they give you is impartial and based solely on what is best for you.
- Debt Remedy is a free website that provides an anonymous, easy to use assessment of someone’s personal finances and a proposed course of action.
- Richmond upon Thames CAB can provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice.
For people over 60 and disabled adults under 60
Richmond Community Partnership offers free support and advice about state pensions and other benefits.
If you are concerned about paying your mortgage there are a range of options, such as government schemes or renting out your home, you can consider which may help.
If you think your band is too high
Contact the Valuation Office Agency.
1 Francis Grove
Telephone: 03000 501501
Web Site: www.voa.gov.uk
They can advise you on how to proceed. If you make an appeal, you still have to pay your Council Tax bill based on the current band, until the appeal is decided.