If you are arranging a funeral for a person of Muslim faith, you may wish to consider visiting Twickenham Cemetery. There is a Muslim burial area in un-consecrated ground where graves are prepared so that they are aligned towards Mecca, i.e. on a northeast to southwest axis. The body is placed in the grave so that the head is at the southwest end, facing towards Mecca.
The following options are available to all:
- The burials can take place in a Shroud or a coffin
- Each grave can be prepared for more than one body, if required.
- Women cemetery staff can cover their heads if in attendance
- Families can put the soil back in the grave themselves (known as backfilling)
- As the graves are on a traditional type section, the grave can be mounded.
- Families can have a headstone or headstone and kerb memorial.
- The cemetery staff offer to meet with all families so individual needs and requests can be met when possible.
Hire a temporary grave surround.
You may wish to hire a temporary grave surround until the memorial of your choice is placed on the grave. You can download the temporary grave surround application form(pdf, 46KB), complete it and send it to the Cemetery Office. The surround can be placed on the grave approximately two months after the burial has taken place, and can remain on the grave for subsequent years at a reduced fee. The Cemetery Office will advise you of the cost of this at the time of your enquiry.