Storage and sale of fireworks
Trading Standards enforce the law on the sale and storage of fireworks.
It is illegal to:
- Sell adult fireworks or sparklers to anyone under the age of 18
- It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in a public place
It is the traders responsibility to ensure to be aware of, and comply with the regulations manufacture and storage of explosives.
Trading Standards will not normally visit your premises before granting a registration. The authority may prohibit storage of explosives at the site if it believes the site is unsafe. It may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.
If you are planning to sell adult fireworks outside the following periods of the year:
- 15 October to 10 November
- 26 December to 31 December
- One the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 day immediately preceding it
- On the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately preceding it
You may also need a £500 licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004.
For all consumer enquiries, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer service.
Trading Standards Business Enquiries
For businesses within Richmond Borough.
44 York Street
Online enquiry form
Telephone: 020 8891 7117
Fax: 020 8891 7713