We can investigate complaints about noise from your neighbour's premises that is seriously affecting your right to enjoy your premises. In most cases you should first approach your neighbour directly about the matter. It is always better if neighbours can resolve their problems informally, and many noise (and other) problems can be resolved quickly and amicably.
If the problem continues, you should:
- Read our definition of nuisance
- Start keeping a diary of residential nuisance(pdf, 67KB). These guidance notes(pdf, 64KB) will help you.
- Contact your neighbour again about the matter, advising them of your intentions to make a formal complaint if the matter is not resolved informally. This may be best done by letter.
- Finally, if the problem continues, make a complaint to the Council, and send in your initial diary sheets.
Once you have made a formal complaint to the Council, you will be asked to complete and submit ongoing diaries of the noise while your complaint is investigated. Investigations may be carried out until the officer is satisfied that there is, or is not, a statutory noise nuisance. If appropriate, the officer may take enforcement action against the person(s) causing the noise.
Please note: If your complaint is about a Housing Association tenant, you should report the matter to their Housing Officer. It will usually be dealt with under their tenancy rules.
We run a weekend service which you should contact if noise is disturbing you on a Friday or Saturday night. Telephone 07944 038 495 (10pm - 3am)
Many noise complaints concern loud music and parties. There is no law against having a party, but it is against the law to cause a noise nuisance. Everyone has a duty to ensure that their activities do not cause a serious disturbance to their neighbours. Causing a noise nuisance can result in a fine of up to £5000, a criminal record, and possible seizure and confiscation of equipment.
Report a nuisance
Please report nuisance alarms relating to residential properties to:
Residential and Environmental Health Team
Tel: 020 8891 7737
Report all other nuisance alarms relating to vehicles, commericial and construction properties to:
Commercial Environmental Health Team
Tel: 020 8891 7117
We also operate a weekend noise service for nuisance alarm reports. You can contact us on 07944 038 495 at the following times:
- Fridays between 10pm - 3am
- Saturday between 10pm - 3am