What goes in each recycling container?
Putting the wrong items in your box or bin may lead to your recycling not being collected so please check carefully that you are putting the right items in each container.
Blue box recycling container and mixed paper, card and cartons wheeled bin
- Paper (shredded paper is accepted)
- Food and drink cartons (e.g. Tetra Pak™ - no need to remove plastic lids/spouts)
It is important to keep paper, cardboard and cartons separate from the mixed containers.
This is because:
- Collection crews are more likely to injure themselves collecting paper if it is mixed with glass and tin cans
- Black box and mixed containers materials are collected by a different vehicle and go to a separate destination
*Important: Cardboard will only be collected if it is flattened and doesn't contain polystyrene or other unrecyclable packing.
Blue box dimensions: Capacity: 55 litres; Width: 585mm; Depth: 390mm; Height: 350mm.
Black box recycling container and mixed containers wheeled bin
- Plastic bottles
- Cans and aerosol cans
- Unbroken glass bottles and jars
- Other mixed plastic containers (e.g. food trays, yoghurt pots, margarine and ice-cream tubs etc)
Black box dimensions: Capacity: 55 litres; Width: 585mm; Depth: 390mm; Height: 350mm.
Dark green food waste recycling container
The green caddy with the lockable lid is for recycling all of your food waste.
- Meat, fish and bones
- Bread, pasta and rice
- Vegetable and fruit waste
- Eggs and cheese
- All food cooked or raw
Capacity: 23 litres; Width: 320mm; Depth: 400mm; Height: 405mm (handle down), 630mm (handle up).
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge trimmings
- Garden prunings
- Fallen fruit
We do not collect: Soil, stone, wood, food, rubble, animal waste, glass or BBQ ash.
Contaminating your waste could result in the removal of the collection service without a refund.