Becoming a childminder
Childminders play an important part in giving parents a greater choice of high quality, flexible childcare and family support packages.
To become a registered childminder in London Borough of Richmond you must live in the Richmond borough and you will need to complete the following four phases:
- Stage 1 Briefing
- Stage 2 Briefing and Literacy Assessment
- Mandatory training
The following information gives details of each phase:
Before the Stage 1 Briefing
You will need to download The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Sept 2012.
The EYFS sets out the legal requirements relating to learning and development and safeguarding and welfare that all Ofsted registered Early Years providers are required to implement.
- The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Sept 2012(pdf, 139KB)
- Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage(pdf, 638KB)
- A Know How Guide- The EYFS Progress Check at Age Two(pdf, 1601KB)
These documents can also be obtained from the Department of Education website.
1) Stage 1 Briefing Session
This session will look at:
- The role of the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted), including who needs to register and why.
- The requirements for registration and how Ofsted will decide if you are suitable to register as a childminder.
- The legal requirements for registration.
- The specific requirements for learning and development and for safeguarding children and promoting their welfare as set out in The Statutory Framework for the EYFS.
- The maximum number of children a registered childminder may look after.
- Support and information regarding the mandatory training you will be required to attend, complete and pass.
2) Stage 2 Briefing Session
This session will provide you with more information on:
- The Statutory Framework of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
- Legal requirements of registration.
- How to prepare for your registration visit.
- Where to access information.
- An outline of the CYPOP5 course ("Understanding how to set up a home-based childcare service").
- The Family Information Service (FIS)
- Completing the Literacy Assessment.
All childminders must be able to show a good level of language and literacy skills, as described in paragraph 3.25 of The Statutory Framework for EYFS. For this reason you will be required to complete a Literacy Assessment. This is a hand written assessment and takes about one hour to complete.
The assessment will take place after the Stage 2 briefing session at York House, Richmond Road, Twickenham, TW1 3AA. You will need to pass the Literacy Assessment before you can continue on to the mandatory training "Understanding how to set up a home-based childcare service" (CYPOP5). Practice papers can be found on the Move On website. On the Test Preparation page select: Type Level 2 Literacy, Format on screen.
3) Mandatory Training
Ofsted require childminders to complete the following mandatory training prior to registration:
- Paediatric First Aid training.
- Unit 1 of the Diploma for Children and Young People’s Workforce, "Understanding how to set up a home-based childcare service" (CYPOP5).
The next CYPOP training dates are:
- Wednesday 5 June 6.30pm till 9pm
- Wednesday 12 June 6.30pm till 9pm
- Wednesday 19 June 6.30pm till 9pm
- Wednesday 26 June 6.30pm till 9pm
- Wednesday 3 July 6.30pm till 9pm
- Wednesday 10 July 6.30pm till 9pm
- Wednesday 17 July 6.30pm till 9pm
You must attend all sessions.
The training package cost is £220. This is non refundable and is payable on receipt of an invoice. You will be given information on how to access this training at the Stage 2 Briefing session. Places on these training sessions can be booked at the Stage 2 Briefing.
To book a place on the Briefing Sessions
The Childminding Briefing Sessions are free. It is a requirement that you attend both Stage 1 and Stage 2 in order to register as a childminder.
To book a place on Stage 1 and Stage 2 Childminding Briefing Sessions please use our Childminding Briefing Sessions booking form. Once you have submitted this form you will receive a reference number and your details will be logged on our system. A confirmation letter will follow giving details about the briefing sessions.
Briefing sessions are held at York House, Richmond Road, Twickenham TW1 3AA. Please note that it is not practical for babies and children to attend the sessions.
If you have any queries about becoming a childminder, please contact Melanie Adams on 020 8831 6267.