Building Control service standards
Building Control is responsible for providing a health and safety function for public protection by:
- Ensuring building work complies with the Building Regulations;
- Securing dangerous structures occurring in the Borough;
- Issuing Safety Certificates for sports grounds determining the safety spectator capacities;
- Naming roads and numbering buildings to ensure emergency services can respond effectively when summoned to properties.
This lets you, our customers, know what basic service standards we aim to achieve. The first general service standards for Building Control. The parts after that are standards for The Street Scene and Development Department. Together, these standards make up our Customer Charter.
- We will ensure our Surveyors are available from 9am to 10.15am to give you advice before you send in plans (you can make an appointment in the afternoon).
- We will acknowledge Building Notices within 3 working days of receiving them.
- We will send a Decision Notice within 5 weeks for Full Plans.
- We will respond to inspection requests within 24 hours of receiving them.
- We will issue a Completion Certificate following final inspection if all works are satisfactory.
- We will deal with all reports of dangerous buildings and structures within 2 hours of being notified.
What we will do for you
- We will greet you in a friendly and professional manner
- We will treat you as an individual and give you quality service to meet your needs
- We will answer your query immediately otherwise we will arrange to call you back
- If English is not your first language we will use a translator to help you
When you come to see us
- Our reception areas will be clearly signposted
- We will aim to see you within 5 minutes
- All our staff wear name badges
- We will offer you a private area if your query is confidential
When you telephone
- We will answer your call within 5 rings
When you fax or write
- We will reply within 7 working days or acknowledge within 2 and inform you of when you can expect a full reply
When you email
- We will acknowledge your email within 2 working days and give a full response within 7 working days, if possible
Compliments and Complaints
If we provide a good service please tell us, but if you have a complaint please speak to the member of staff who has been dealing with you as they may be able to sort it out straight away or ask to speak to the Manager. Complaints give us the chance to put things right and improve how we do things in the future.
If you wish to make a more formal complaint read about the Council’s complaints procedure. You can make a formal complaint on-line.
We produce a rolling service improvement plan(pdf, 38KB) that identifies service issues raised and any appropriate action taken.
See our contact page.