Building Control policies
Building Control enforcement policy
The primary function of the Building Control service is to protect people’s health and safety in the built environment. This involves, among other things, enforcing:
- The Building Act 1984
- The Building Regulations and other allied legislation
- The London Building Acts (Amendment Act) 1939 (or superseding similar legislation)
- The Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975
- Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987
In so doing, we aim to enforce in an equitable, practical and consistent manner.
Building Regulations policy statement
The Council is of the opinion that the Building Regulation function can only be effectively performed on the under-mentioned basis, allowing operation to be exercised by the Building Control staff using their professional skill and judgement and subject to workload and staff availability.
Contact Building Control
Technical advice, site visit requests, etc
For Building Regulations advice, technical guidance and requests for site visits/inspections in the first instance contact the Building Surveyor for your area. You can find the relevant officer, their area and all their contact numbers on our Building Control Officers page.
For any questions or comments about the Building Control Team and the services we provide, use the following contact details:
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Environment Building Control
44 York Street
- To contact Technical Support staff telephone: 020 8891 7357
- To contact the Office Manager telephone: 020 8487 5098
- Minicom (for hearing impaired callers ONLY): 020 8891 7120
- Fax: 020 8891 7347
Complaining about a service
If you wish to make a complaint about our service, use our corporate complaints procedure.