Food waste recycling
If it grows and you can eat it, we can recycle it.
Reduce your food waste to save money and win a prize!
In the UK, £12 billion of food and drink is thrown away every year. By reducing food waste, a two-person household could save £480 a year while a family of four could save as much as £680. The West London Waste Authority is asking residents to pledge to reduce their food waste. This can be as simple as planning your meals for the week ahead. Make a pledge to do this and you’ll be entered into a draw for a chance to win prizes including restaurant vouchers, recipe books and cookery lessons.
Visit Love Food Pledge for details.
Getting started using this service:
- To arrange delivery of recycling boxes, use our online form or telephone 08456 122 660. This is a free service.
- Your food waste will be collected weekly, on the same day as your black box and blue box. Find your collection day.
- Liners for the storage bins can be purchased from local supermarkets and shops.
- For more information on how to use this scheme including tips on keeping your bin clean.
|Yes Please||No Thanks|
|Meat, fish and bones||Food cans and jars|
|Bread, pasta and rice||Garden waste|
|Vegetable and fruit waste||Plastic bags - please don't use them as liners|
|Eggs and cheese||Pet faeces|
|Tea bags||Human faeces|
|All cooked and raw foods||Nappies|
|Coffee grounds with paper filters||Plastic/synthetic coffee filters|
Here is a quick visual guide to what you can recycle.
To ensure your food waste is collected please leave recycling:
- Out for collection by 6am on the same day as your black and blue boxes. The collections start early and pick up times may vary.
- At the edge of your property, by the pavement. We cannot collect it if it is in a porch, side access, or behind a wall. See this picture of where to leave food waste for collection.
- Out for collection in the large storage box, not in the small kitchen caddy, as the caddy is not securable against animals.
- Do not use a plastic bag as a liner. Plastic cannot be composted.
Can I have a second bin?
Yes, if you need an additional box please telephone 08456 122 660 or use our online form to have one delivered.