A Strategy to Combat Racial Harassment
This Strategy sets out the ways in which the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames will aim to achieve an effective response to racial harassment within the community. It flowed from the overall Council Strategy which aimed to ensure that;
- The disadvantaged are protected,
- Everyone has the opportunity to reach their full potential and,
- The environment in which we all live is preserved and enhanced.
1.2. The objectives of the Strategy are to:
- Set out a framework within which corporate policy guidelines can be developed.
- Involve representatives from the ethnic minority community, statutory and voluntary sectors in strengthening the response to racial harassment in the Borough.
- Improve co-ordination of the services available.
- Raise awareness of the issue of racial harassment and improve the distribution of information to clients and professionals seeking advice.
- Address the service issues raised by racial harassment by the development of action plans.
- Improve support to victims of racial harassment.
- Work towards the prevention of racial harassment.
- Develop ways of dealing with perpetrators of racial harassment.
- Ensure adequate training programmes are developed to secure the success of the strategy amongst Council staff.